April 7, 2010

penne with asparagus and peppers

So... the penne with asparagus and peppers was DELICIOUS. So good. I don't even think it was because I was more hungry than usual, just that it was, in fact, incredibly tasty.


Here's the recipe. I only added one red and one yellow pepper and I think two might be a pepper overhaul. Also, I sauteed them instead of charring, but I think I'm going to try charring next time. Just to see the variety in taste. We also didn't peel the asparagus, but c'est la vie. I substituted wheat penne as well, just because I like wheat penne.


Penne with Asparagus and Peppers
servings: 6
1 lb medium asparagus, peeled, tough ends removed and cut into 2" pieces
2 yellow bell peppers, charred, peeled and diced
2 red bell peppers, charred, peeled and diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp kosher salt plus 1 tsp
3/4 lb penne
1 1/2 tbps minced fresh thyme (couldn't find fresh so used dried)
3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 tbps butter
1/8 tsp grounded black pepper

In a skillet over medium heat, boil asparagus in lightly salted water until it begins to soften, about one minute after the water boils. Drain. Add the peppers and garlic to the skillet and toss one minute. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and set aside. Bring six cups of water to a boil in a pot and add one tablespoon of salt. Add the pasta, cook to just before it reaches al dente, and drain. Return to the skillet to medium heat and add the cooked penne and fresh thyme. Stir and simmer five to seven minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Mix in half the cheese plus the butter, and remaining salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

via Bicycling May 2010

Mmm, so good. I also did a decent job of portions and making sure I payed attention to when I was getting full. I picked up Mindless Eating from the library today and it looks interesting. I feel like I've been eating way too fast lately, partially as a result of eating with 3-5 year olds for lunch. Between getting kids to taste the food they don't like and dodging sneezes that fling fish sticks in my face (for real - last week. So disgusted), I feel like I just wolf everything down so I'm ready when they're ready. It's nice to remember what it's like to eat with grown-ups.

I also opened up a bag of French Roast coffee from Alterra today and the beans are so shiny and delicious smelling... it's going to be a good morning tomorrow. Is tomorrow Thursday already? Maybe it's just today, but I'm ready for it to be the weekend again.

No comments: