April 3, 2010

adventures in cooking: cherry pie

I made cherry pie today. I haven't used the recipe before and I'm bringing it to Andrew's family's house for Easter dinner tomorrow. Let's hope it's as good as it looks and smells.



The recipe called for shortening, which I picked up at the store before realizing that shortening is just replacing the butter in a pie crust recipe. I've read Michael Pollen's books and think he makes lots of good points... but I haven't gone off the localvore deep end by any means. I have incorporated the "stay out of the middle of the grocery store" mantra to some extent and think that if you can eat Food A with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients in favor of eating Food B with less ingredients that are actually food, then eat Food B. So unfortunately for the Crisco I just bought, it probably won't be used again in lieu of butter. So apple pie crust recipe, you are my go-to pie crust recipe from now on. FYI.

This week: penne with asparagus and peppers ala Biking magazine. Is anyone else excited that it's asparagus season? <3

1 comment:

Amy Boland said...

Hey, thanks for the link to my cherry pie post!

With mixed feelings, and despite contrary arguments, I DO still use Crisco. I know it's bad. But I weighed its evils against a) the inferior results I've gotten from other fats; and b) the infrequency of my own actual pie consumption. I decided to just suck it up and use the Crisco.

I know, I know that a kitten dies every time I buy Crisco.