January 25, 2010

books and books

Ugh, I just finished a TERRIBLE book. It was faux-Da Vinci Code in that it was a modern-day mystery novel set around a historical document or event. I won't lie; I enjoy them. Their attempts at historical/theological scholarship always start off about half-right but then the author just takes it to a new, completely hypothetical and 99% inaccurate place. The scholar in me hates that but the reader in me can gloss over it if the plot's good enough.

This book, however, was just terrible writing paired with a predictable and not-too-thrilling plot. Really? Running away to Canada is your exciting chase scene? It started off by being set at the Beinecke, Yale's Rare Book and Manuscript museum. It's a fantastic building with a warm sheen to it - the walls are made from 1 1/4" thick marble which allows for amazing lighting.


He didn't describe the building at all, which makes me even wonder if he went to New Haven at all. Argh, authors not doing their research!

Anyway. In Tongues of the Dead - Terrible. Don't even bother. At least I finished it, making it my 6th book of 2010. Next up is Manhunt: The 12-day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. The review I read said that it glorifies John Wilkes Booth, even comparing him to Jesus. Why, oh why do I do this to myself?

No comments: