June 9, 2013

Oh hey, IT band

So I wrote my last post Thursday morning pre-run. I went out at lunch for 3 miles, and lo and behold, at mile 2.5, my LEFT IT band starts feeling irritated.

For fuck's sake.

I spent all winter/spring rehabbing my right IT band/glutes/hips, and on literally week one of marathon training, the other IT band gets irritated. I would laugh if I weren't so pissed off. Is this a thing? Alternating IT band problems?

So I'm going to take it easy and make sure I do my hip/glute strengthening physical therapy exercises equally on both sides, and try to keep up with the marathon training program as best I can.

Thursday - 3 miles, irritation set in at miles 2.5.
Friday - Supposed to do 3, but rested and just did a 75 minute yoga class.
Saturday - 4.5 miles. Irritation set in at around 3 miles, stopped, stretched and massaged my left IT band. It kept me going for another 1.5 miles, but the distance between stops kept getting shorter and shorter.

Here's the plan for next week:
Monday - 3 miles
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - cross training
Friday - 3 miles and yoga
Saturday - 6 miles

We'll see how much of that actually gets done, but I'm going to try.

Bacher out.

No comments: